A women’s lips are one of the most attractive part of their body. Surveys indicate that an average men spend half of its time staring at a women’s lips during the first ten seconds after meeting a lady for the first time.
Lips play a vital aesthetic role as being the central point of the lower face and having fuller and plumper lips never go out of style, but no matter the reason for having thin, asymmetrical and lined lips whether naturally or with aging, there are variety of lip enhancement solutions for everybody nowadays.
It is estimated that more than 1.5 million women underwent lip enhancement procedure across the globe in 2017 that already made this procedure one of the most requested cosmetic procedure.
Fortunately, MediExpert is dedicated to meet with specific aesthetic goals of each particular patient to deliver the desired results through a safe, short and simple procedure.
WHAT IS LIP ENHANCEMENT?
Lip Enhancement also known as ‘Lip Augmentation’ is a cosmetic procedure, performed to enlarge or reshape lips by various types of techniques including lip implants, lip fillers and lip lift to enhance the look of the entire face. The procedure results in individuals having fuller, plumper, symmetrical lips and improve the dimensional balance between lips, nose and teeth.
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIADATE FOR LIP AUGMENTATION?
Lip enhancement procedures can be performed on individuals who are in overall good health and feel the need to improve their lip contour. You are a good candidate if you have one or more of the following features:
- Thin lips that disappear when you smile
- Your lips become thinner and lost its fullness with age
- You have uneven lips
- You are bothered by the look of your lips
- You feel that your face will be balanced out after having fuller lips
- You believe that your self-confidence will be increased with fuller lips
- You have realistic expectations about the procedure
CONSULTATION WITH YOUR SURGEON BEFORE THE SURGERY
MediExpert surgeon may discuss the following issues during your consultation for lip enhancement procedure.
- Your surgical goals to be achieved
- Your general health status will be evaluated, allergies and previous medical treatments will be checked
- Previous surgery history including mouth or lip surgeries if any will be checked
- Current prescribed medications and the usage of supplements and vitamins will be checked
- Smoking, alcohol and drug usage will be asked
- Chin augmentation options will be discussed
- Course of treatment will be recommended
- The type of anesthesia that will be used will be discussed
- Photos of the lips will be taken
- Potential complications and the risks of lip augmentation procedure will be discussed
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO PRIOR TO THE SURGERY?
We will ask the patients to prepare for the lip enhancement procedure in advance in order to ensure for the procedure to be as smoothly as possible before and after. Some of the instructions that may be required from the patients are as follows: .
- Blood testing will be required to evaluate general health status prior to surgical procedures
- Avoid all sorts of blood thinners and certain anti-inflammatory drugs at least 10 days prior to the surgery as they might increase bleeding and bruising
- Stop smoking both nicotine or marijuana at least two weeks prior to the surgery as it can delay the healing process. If you are a heavy smoker, we will try to encourage you to avoid smoking as much as possible prior to the surgery
- Avoid alcohol at least 1 week prior to the surgery as it may prolong the swelling
- Avoid taking any herbal supplements such as fish oil, garlic extract and Vitamin E 10 days before the surgery as these may prolong the bleeding
- Drink plenty of water in the days approaching the surgery
- Sleep well the night of the surgery
- Ensure to have cold compresses ready to use after the surgery
- Wear comfortable and loose clothes and not wear jewelry and necklaces at the day of the surgery
- Do not eat or drink anything 8 hours prior to the surgery except any prescribed medication for surgical lip enhancement procedure
- Ensure picking up the prescribed post operative medications prior to the surgery
- Ensure that the bed in pre-arranged with plenty of pillows as elevation of the head will reduce swelling after the surgery
- Ensure that a family member or a friend is arranged to take care is available to stay with you for assistance the night after the surgery if you are having a surgical procedure
TYPES OF LIP ENHANCEMENT
There are variety of options of lip enhancement procedures to assist patients improve their lip appearance An overview of main lip enhancement techniques are outlined below.
Filler injections are the most popular non-surgical technique for lip augmentation. It involves injecting fillers made of natural or biocompatible material into the lips that acts a fat substitute in order to plump up the lip. The results are visible immediately and can last generally between 6 to 9 months. Repeat injections are required to maintain the results.
Fat transfer also known as ‘Fat grafting’ that involves a fat removed from the patient’s own body (autologous fat) through liposuction and reinjected into lips. There is no need for an incision in the lips, no risk of allergic reacting due to the usage of own fat and the results are very natural. Injections might need to be repeated until the desired results achieved. Once the final results are achieved, the results are long-lasting and in some cases even permanent.
Dermal grafts is a surgical procedure that involves augmenting the lips by extracting deeper tissues underside of the skin that is generally from the abdomen and transfer into the lips. Incisions are created inside the mouth and the results from dermal grafts are permanent. It is mainly preferred by individuals who have scars in their other parts of their body with the aim to improve the existing scar.
Lip implants involves making incisions at the corners of the mouth and the implants inserted through these tiny concealed incisions. The surgery takes less than half an hour to perform and the results can last for many years.
This procedure involves creating an incision along the border of the colored area of the lips (vermillion) by removing a strip of skin below the lower lip or above the lower lip and then pulling the vermillion in order to increase the size of the lips.
This procedure involves removing excess skin and muscle from the upper lip, just under the nose. Initially, the lip is measured and marked and incision is created under the nose and the skin is eventually shortened to pull up the lips.
The best candidates for this surgery are those having an excessive upper lip and downward sloping mouth. Most patients undergo lip lift are younger individuals with long lips, older patients who lost form and function of their lips due to aging, and those who has a lack of upper teeth show when speaking or smiling.
The lip lift allows the patient’s upper teeth to be more visible when smiling as well as at rest by shortening the upper lip. The patients can enjoy permanent results of youthful and aesthetically pleasing teeth.
BENEFITS OF LIP AUGMENTATION
If you are bothered by the appearance of your lips, lip enhancement procedures can address your concerns and potentially improve one or more of the following issues:
- Volume of the lips increased
- Wrinkles and lines around the mouth eliminated
- Sad look is eliminated when the mouth is downturned
- Cupid’s bow is recontoured
- Shape of thin or flat lips refined
- Symmetry between the upper and lower lip improved
- Saggy corners of the lips and mouth lifted
- Thickness of the upper and lower lips balanced
- Deep nasolabial folds and lines reduced
- Results are generally noticeable after the procedure
- Short, safe and simple procedure
WHAT IS EXPECTED IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE SURGERY?
Post operative period is extremely important for a quicker healing and recovery period. Following are most likely to be expected within the first few days after the surgery:
- You may experience minimal discomfort, swelling and bruising where majority of it should be gone after a week or two following the surgery
- You will be asked to sleep back with head elevated for the first few days to minimize swelling
- You will be asked to apply cold packs over the lips during the first 48 hours
- You may experience discomfort while speaking
- You may be asked to eat soft food and drink liquids for the first few days
HOW LONG IS THE LIP AUGMENTATION SURGERY TAKE?
The length of the procedure depends on the type of procedure performed. Minimally invasive procedures take 15-20 minutes, while fat transfer, lip implants and lip lifts can take between 30 minutes to 2 hours.
HOW OLD DO I HAVE TO BE TO UNDERGO THE SURGERY?
There is no certain age limitation in terms eligibility to undergo the procedure. Patients from their late teens as well as older aged patients who are overall in good health can have lip augmentation procedures.
WHAT KIND OF PAIN SHALL I EXPECT AFTER LIP AUGMENTATION?
Although pain tolerance may vary from patient to patient, most of the patients experience minimal discomfort. Mild pain medication is prescribed to reduce any possible discomfort and often used only for few days.
HOW LONG IS THE RECOVERY TIME?
After the surgery, most of the patients experience minimal discomfort. Some numbness, swelling, bruising, feeling of tightness is expected, where majority of it should be gone after a week or two. Pain medication is prescribed to reduce discomfort.
It is recommended to keep your head elevated, may be to sleep with three or four pillows for the first few days for the swelling to subside more faster. Soft food and liquid diet is recommended for the first few days. Laughing and smiling should be avoided for at least 5 days.
Alcohol and all kinds of blood thinner medications should be avoided for a week, whereas smoking should be avoided for at least 2 weeks to fasten the recovery period and achieve better results. Moreover, the regular use of sunscreen for several months is important to prevent sunburn.
Recovery period is 1-2 days for minimal invasive procedures and 7 days for lip implants and lip lifts for most of the patients following a lip augmentation.
SHOULD I NEED TO STAY IN THE HOSPITAL AFTER LIP AUGMENTATION?
It is typically an outpatient procedure meaning that it is not required to stay at the hospital overnight.
WHEN WILL THE STITCHES REMOVED?
The stitches will be typically removed within 4-6 days after surgical lip enhancement procedures if they are not dissolvable type.
WHEN CAN I GO BACK TO WORK?
Patients can go back to work as soon as they feel comfortable with the look of their face. Most of the patients can go back to work within a day or two following lip filler procedures, while a week is generally required to be off work after lip implant and lip lift procedures.
WHEN CAN I START EXERCISING?
Exercises can be resumed after 48 hours following lip filler procedures, whereas 1-2 weeks are required to start exercising after surgical lip augmentation procedures.
WHEN CAN I SEE THE FINAL RESULTS?
The improvements following a lip augmentation procedure are almost immediately visible, however these results will not be the final results. It may take couple of weeks for the swelling to resolve and lip reaches its final form and appearance.
DO MEN GET LIP AUGMENTATION AS WELL?
Although rare compared to women, the answer is yes with growing numbers each year.
WHAT ARE THE TEMPORARY SIDE EFFECTS FOLLOWING A LIP AUGMENTATION?
Common side effects are mild and temporary including swelling, bruising, numbness, light bleeding, bumps and lumps which subsides between 2-7 days and should be gone in a week or two.
POTENTIAL COMPLICATIONS AND RISKS OF LIP AUGMENTATION PROCEDURES
Although significant complications from lip augmentation are infrequent and all types of lip enhancement procedures are generally very safe, all the surgeries carry uncertainty and risk in to some extent. Individuals have to weigh the potential benefits in terms of achieving the aesthetic goals with the risks and potential complications of a lip augmentation. Although rare, some of the complications and risks include:
- Anesthesia risks
- Hematoma or Seroma
- Tissue loss
- Lip asymmetry
- Stiffening of the lips
- Ulcerations in the lips
- Lumps in the lips
- Possible need for revision surgery
- Unfavorable scarring
- Allergic reactions
- Damage to underlying structures
- Temporary change in skin sensation
HOW LONG WILL THE RESULTS LAST?
The results following lip fillers generally last 6-9 months on average, while the results after surgical procedures including lip implants, dermal grafts and lip lifts are long-lasting and often permanent.