MALE BREAST REDUCTION (GYNECOMASTIA)
Gynecomastia is a word derived from Greek that means ‘women-like breasts’. It is basically a condition of the appearance of a female like breast in male. This condition is actually much more common than many people are probably aware. As a matter of fact, an estimated 50% of male population may be affected by this condition. This let gynecomastia procedure within the top five most common plastic surgery procedures performed on men.
Having enlarged or overdeveloped breasts is something that many find aesthetically displeasing as chest is considered to be one of the key characteristics of masculinity. This condition can often result in feelings of embarrassment and self-consciousness which prevent individuals to do things that they truly want to do especially in situations that involve removal of their shirt.
This condition shouldn’t keep any man enjoying their life with confidence. Male breast reduction surgery can offer a single outpatient procedure and a permanent solution to gynecomastia enhancing a natural masculine contour and enabling men to lead a more enjoyable life.
Fortunately, MediExpert is committed to assist you to achieve your specific aesthetic goals by a simple male breast reduction procedure that will improve your breast contour resulting in restoring your confidence.
WHAT IS MALE BREAST REDUCTION?
Male breast reduction is also known as ‘Gynecomastia’ that is a condition associated with excess male breast tissue resulting in enlarged and overdeveloped breasts in men. Although the condition often develops during puberty, it can also occur at any age. Gynecomastia treatment is also known as ‘Male Reduction mammoplasty’ that is a surgical procedure to flatten the chest and to develop more masculine chest contour.
CAUSES OF GYNECOMASTIA
Although there is no definitive reason for the certain cause of gynecomastia, some of the common potential causes of gynecomastia are considered to be as follows:
- Hormonal changes
- Weight fluctuation
- Usage of marijuana
- Liver disease
- Usage of steroids
- Usage of estrogen containing medications
- Dietary supplements
- Kidney failure
- Increased levels of testosterone production
- Decreased levels of estrogen production
- Use of particular prescribed medications
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIADATE FOR GYNECOMASTIA SURGERY?
Before taking a decision on undergoing a gynecomastia surgery, it is recommended to ensure that the cause of gynecomastia is not related with another health issues or the usage of certain medications. As in some cases, quitting the use of a medication might correct the condition without requiring a surgery.
If this is not the case, you may be a good candidate for a gynecomastia procedure. The individuals who will benefit the most out of this procedure are as follows:
- You are healthy as overall
- You are not significantly overweight
- You have realistic expectations
- Your breast development is steady
- You are bothered that your breasts are too large
- You are a non-smoker and non-drug user
- You have good skin elasticity
- Your breasts are uncommonly developed for a male
- You have enlarged nipples
- You have excess skin or tissue left in your chest area followed by a weight loss
- Your enlarged breast are effecting your self-confidence negatively
BEFORE THE SURGERY
Following needs to be done prior to the surgery in order to ensure that the patient is healthy enough for the procedure:
- Lab testing
- Evaluation of overall health
- Stay away from smoking and drugs
- Avoid all sorts of blood thinners, herbal supplements and certain anti-inflammatory drugs
- Any other medications will also be checked thoroughly as they might lead to complications
STEPS IN A MALE BREAST REDUCTION PROCEDURE
Surgical technique will be decided prior to the procedure which the options are determined based on the type, size and the amount of tissue removed as well as the patient’s aesthetic goals. Following steps are taken in a common gynecomastia procedure.
1. ADMINISTRATION OF ANESTHESIA
A typical gynecomastia procedure is performed under an intravenous sedation or general anesthesia in order to ensure comfort to the patient throughout the entire procedure. MediExpert surgeon will recommend the best option consulting with the patient.
2. LIPOSUCTION, EXCISION OR BOTH?
Once the anesthesia is applied, MediExpert surgeon will proceed with the surgical technique chosen beforehand which the options include liposuction , excision or a combination of both.
- Liposuction : In cases where the cause of gynecomastia is primarily resulting from an excess fatty tissue, liposuction alone can be an effective technique to correct the condition. It involves creating tiny incisions in the breast by using a thin tube called ‘cannula’ to break up and suction out of the fat through a vacuum. A small drain is placed under the incision of each breast to draw off excess fluids which the drains are removed usually the day after the surgery. There are various types of liposuction techniques including tumescent, laser and ultra-sound which the most appropriate technique customized to meet your goals will be chosen prior to the procedure.
- Excision: Excision technique is used in the more severe signs of gynecomastia where the cause of the condition can be corrected through a removal of glandular breast tissue or excess skin. It involves creating incisions to reshape the areola, male chest and the nipples as well as the repositioning of the nipples in order to achieve more natural male contour. Incision patterns will differ based on the specific conditions of the patient.
- Combination of liposuction & excision: Combination of liposuction and excision techniques are also used to remove fat, excess skin and the glandular tissue where the patient desires to achieve a firmer chest.
3. CLOSING THE INCISIONS
Incisions are then closed with internal dissolvable sutures and covered with a dressing. Surgical tapes and skin adhesives may also be used to close the skin to complete the procedure.
BENEFITS OF BREAST REDUCTION SURGERY
Breast reduction surgery can offer plenty of benefits and can indeed be a life-changing procedure in terms of improving the quality of your life. Some of the benefits are as follows:
- Flat and shaped chest
- More masculine and youthful contour achieved
- Customized procedure to meet the specific goals of each patient
- Permanent results as long as adopting a healthy life and not putting on weight
- Eases physical activity
- Increased self-confidence and self-esteem
WHAT IS EXPECTED AFTER THE SURGERY?
Post operative period is extremely important for a quicker healing and recovery period. Following are most likely to be expected after the surgery:
- you are most likely to feel exhausted
- you will be covered by bandaging and wrapped with a surgical tape for a day or two.
- incisions may remain covered with gauze dressings for few days
- drains will be removed within few days after the surgery if inserted any
- you may experience less feelings in the breasts and nipples for few days
- you will be instructed not to sleep on your stomach for few weeks
- you will be asked to wear a compression garment 24/7 the for about a month and only in the night time for another month afterwards
- moderate swelling and minor bruising are considered normal which will gradually diminish over the next weeks
- you will be asked to apply a massage to the treated area to soften the scar tissue and assist on the skin to lay out nicely for 4 weeks on daily basis starting from 3 weeks following the procedure
- sun exposure must be avoided for at least six months
- sun screen is recommended to be used for at least a year
HOW LONG IS THE GYNECOMASTIA PROCEDURE?
As the duration of the surgery may vary from patient to patient , it takes between 1-4 hours depending on the surgical technique performed and the extent of the procedure.
IS THERE ANY AGE LIMIT?
It is recommended that the gynecomastia is performed after reaching adulthood as there is a possibility that the condition may correct itself once reaching adulthood.
IS GYNECOMASTIA A PAINFUL PROCEDURE?
There is no pain during the surgery as it is performed under anesthesia, whereas there is some degree of pain after the gynecomastia procedure which can be considered as mild to moderate.
Although sensivity may vary patient to patient, pain is manageable for most of the patients and subsides within only a few days time which is easily controlled by prescribed pain relievers in order to reduce any possible discomfort. There is no discomfort after the recovery period so that the patients can truly enjoy the pain-free aesthetic benefits. After recovery, there should be no discomfort, so you can enjoy your aesthetic benefits pain-free.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO REDUCE MALE BREAST ENLARGEMENT WITH WEIGHT LOSS OR EXERCISE?
As male breast enlargement is also linked with obesity, losing weight and exercising may help in to a certain extent. However, it will not actually make the gynecomastia go away.
WILL I LOSE SENSIVITY IN MY NIPPLES AFTER GYNECOMASTIA SURGERY?
Although most of the patients do not complain about the changes of sensation in the nipples, there is a possibility that sensation may be a little different than of prior to the surgery. Most men feel less sensation in the nipple and areola areas on temporary basis up to for few weeks after the surgery as sensation returns to normal when the swelling subsides. Rare cases, it may take up to six months to a year to before the sensation returns to normal. In very rare cases, some or complete loss of sensation may occur especially in the nipple area. Most of the patients think that the surgery benefits outweigh this minor side effect.
WILL I HAVE PERMANENT SCARS AND ARE THEY NOTICEABLE?
Performing liposuction alone to treat gynecomastia will only result in tiny scars measuring less than a centimeter, whereas excision of a tissue will leave some degree of scarring around the areola or in the inframammary fold as most of the scarring will be well hidden in the natural contours of breast following a gynecomastia procedure. Moreover, our surgeons will perform the most advanced surgical techniques and will take all the aggressive possible measures for the scarring visibility to be minimized. There are several factors affecting the appearance of scars. Some of them include:
- amount of the breast and fat tissue removed
- skin elasticity
- skin tone
- past sun exposure
- technique performed
- ability of the surgeon
- body’ reaction to heal
- following surgeon’s instructions both in pre and post operatively
It is difficult to provide a specific timetable for the healing of the scars as there are several stages of healing in the months after the surgery and it may take up to a year for the scars to fully mature and in some cases might be much less than that depending on the variable factors given above. Eventually, most of the patients find the scarring as minor and for many a small amount of scarring is outweigh the dramatic improvement in their breast appearance.
HOW LONG IS THE RECOVERY TIME?
After the surgery; swelling, bruising and temporary soreness are normal and should gradually subside within the first week or so. You may be a little uncomfortable especially in the first couple of days, however pain should not be severe which can be managed by prescribed pain medication to reduce any possible discomfort. Although recovery period may vary depending on number of reasons including patient’s healing capacity and the technique performed, initial recovery period after a gynecomastia procedure is generally within 1-2 weeks following the surgery where light exercises can be resumed.Incisions will be healed considerably after 3-4 weeks and the final look will be clear, whereas it may take up to one year for the incision lines to fully set into their final look.
WHEN CAN I HAVE SEX AFTER THE SURGERY?
It is recommended to avoid sex for the first 7-10 days following the surgery.
SHOULD I NEED TO STAY IN THE HOSPITAL AFTER THE SURGERY?
Gynecomastia surgery is generally an outpatient procedure meaning that patients are likely to be discharged from the hospital following a couple of hours observation period. It is important to ensure that a family member or a friend will drive you to your residence or alternatively we will be pleased to arrange your drop off organization.
WHEN WILL THE STITCHES BE REMOVED?
Stitches are internal dissolvable type, so there will not be any requirement of removing the stitches.
WHEN CAN I GO BACK TO WORK?
Most of the patients can return for a desk job within 1-2 days following the procedure. It may take between 4-5 weeks to return work for a physically demanding job.
CAN I DRIVE AFTER THE SURGERY?
It is typically 2-3 days are required to start driving after the surgery.
WHEN CAN I START EXERCISING?
Short walks following the surgery is encouraged to reduce the risk of blood clots. Most patients are able to resume light exercises within 1-2 weeks after the surgery, whereas upper body exercises, heavy lifting and yoga can be resumed after 4-5 weeks.
CAN GYNECOMASTIA COMBINED WITH OTHER SURGERIES?
Gynecomastia is frequently combined with liposuction to remove the excess fat in the breast area.
HOW LONG WILL THE RESULTS LAST?
Gynecomastia is a very effective procedure that the results can last life-long as long as adopting a healthy life style and preventing weight gain.
POTENTIAL COMPLICATIONS AND RISKS OF BREAST REDUCTION
Although modern techniques are very safe, as with any other surgery there are some risks involved. Some of the rare complications and risks from a male breast reduction procedure are as follows:
- Anesthesia complications
- Bleeding (hematoma)
- Blood clots
- Breast asymmetry
- Breast contour and shape irregularities
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Fat necrosis
- Fluid accumulation
- Loss or changes in the nipple or breast sensation
- Persistent pain
- Poor wound healing
- Unfavorable scarring
WHEN CAN I SEE THE FINAL RESULTS?
Changes to your breasts will be visible immediately and your breasts will be firmer right away after the surgery, however these changes will not be the final results. Although you can get a very good idea of the results after 3 months period as the shape will evolve, but it generally takes around 5-6 months to see the final shape and appearance of your breasts when the breasts are settled in its position.