There is nothing quite like the pleasure of being a mother and having a baby to show it. It is truly an unique experience. But as great as being a mother is, pregnancy and childbirth can leave undesired effects including stubborn fat pockets, sagging breasts, stretch marks, loss of muscle tone and vaginal tissue laxity.
These common side effects often can not be dealt with diet and exercise alone. A mommy makeover can overcome these tremendous changes in the body caused by childbirth and help mothers to regain their pre-baby figures.
WHAT IS A MOMMY MAKEOVER?
A ‘Mommy Makeover’ is a combination of surgeries that are performed together to restore the shape and appearance of mothers after having children. It is a physical transformation of mothers who are seeking to change the appearance in their breasts and various parts of their body. It is not one size fit all approach, on the contrary it is a highly customized surgical procedure to meet the specific aesthetic goals of each mother.
ARE YOU A CANDIDATE FOR MOMMY MAKEOVER?
If you are experiencing one or more of the following conditions following a childbirth, you may be a right candidate for ‘mommy makeover’.
- Puffy, enlarged or drooping nipples
- Sagging, volume loss, shape loss or asymmetry in the breasts
- Use of pad for bra while wearing dresses
- Loose belly skin
- Sagging abdomen and stretch marks
- Accumulation of fat in arms, thighs waist and flanks (love handles)
- Aging signs in the face
- Visible C-section scar
- Change in the size and shape of the buttocks
- Enlarged and sagging labia minora
- Seek for an improvement in the look of different parts of the body
WHO IS AN IDEAL CANDIDATE FOR A MOMMY MAKEOVER?
Ideal mommy makeover candidates are as follows:
- Are in good health as overall
- Are no longer breastfeeding
- Are close to the ideal body weight
- Have realistic expectations from the outcome of the procedure
- Are looking to restore a more youthful that is closer to the pre baby body
- Preferably not planning to have more children as additional pregnancies could possibly change the result of the surgery.
WHEN IS THE RIGHT TIME TO GET A MOMMY MAKEOVER?
Although it is a personal decision to undergo mommy makeover, there are certain factors to consider to determine the right timing. Some of them are as follows:
- It is recommended to wait until there is no intention of having children
- Full recovery from the childbirth is required
- If breasts to be addressed, better to wait for six months after birth
- If breastfeeding is involved, better to wait for six months after stopping breastfeeding in order to allow the breasts to turn back to a stable size and shape
- You are restricted to lift any weight over 2-3 kilograms within the first few weeks following the procedure, childcare assistance might be required for a younger children
BEFORE THE SURGERY
In preparing for the surgery, following may be asked prior to the procedure to achieve better results.
- Undertake lab tests
- Avoid smoking and limit alcohol
- Avoid all sorts of blood thinners and certain anti-inflammatory drugs
- Any other medications will also be checked thoroughly as they might lead to complications
- Ensure sufficient amount sleep and rest
- Maintain a healthy weight that is not far away from your ideal weight
STEPS IN A MOMMY MAKEOVER PROCEDURE
Mommy makeover is a highly customized combination of procedures which can address all parts of the body that gained stubborn pockets of fat, have become lax and developed stretch marks. The most common type of ‘mommy makeover’ procedure include a combination of abdominoplasty , liposuction , breast augmentation and breast lift surgery surgery .
The following steps are taken in a common breast augmentation procedure.
1. ADMINISTRATION OF ANESTHESIA
A typical mommy makeover procedure is performed under a general anesthesia. However, in some cases intravenous sedation is also applied. MediExpert’s surgeon’s will provide you the best solution consulting the patient.
2. SURGICAL PROCEDURES
Following surgical procedures could be a part of the customized mommy makeover surgery in order meet specific aesthetic goals of each particular patient.
Click the link below to find out more details about the procedures that can be performed under mommy makeover:
- Breast augmentation: to restore the size and shape of the breasts
- Abdominoplasty: to correct loose skin in the abdomen area
- Liposuction: to remove the undesired fat
- Breast augmentation: to enhance breast size and shape
- Breast lift: to correct sagging breasts
- Breast reduction: to reduce breasts
- Nipple reduction: to reduce nipples
- Vaginal rejuvenation: to correct the excess skin in the labia minora
- Scar revision: to correct the scar after a C-section
HOW MANY PROCEDURES CAN I UNDERGO AT ONE TIME?
Mothers may decide to undergo one of these surgical procedures alone or in combination depending on the factors such as overall health, extent of the surgery and aesthetic goals of the patient.
Having a multiple surgery have certain benefits as the risk of two surgeries avoided, anesthesia applied one at a time and advantageous in terms of saving time and money. However, it may not be so easy for the multiple areas to heal at the same time. It is generally recommended to have multiple procedures on one side of the body only. For instance, abdominoplasty combined with breast augmentation / lift multiple procedure are all targeting the front and very popular combination to undergo, whereas breast augmentation combined with a buttock lift may not be the best of combinations as both front and back targeted at the same time which may lead to a harder recovery period.
MediExpert will provide the optimum recommendations taking into account the aesthetic goals of the patient and the safety of having multiple surgery without putting the patient at risk of developing complications.
BENEFITS OF MOMMY MAKEOVER
As each women has their particular aesthetic goals from mommy makeover which some of the benefits often include one or more of the following:
- Abdominal muscles tightened
- Abdominal fat is reduced
- Abdominal contour toned
- Excess skin trimmed away
- Breast shape and firmness improved
- Breast volume and fullness boosted
- Breast is lifted leading to an aesthetically pleasing and attractive position
- Breast symmetry is improved
- Stubborn fat is eliminated
- Overall body contour improved permanently
- More youthful appearance gained
- More balanced physique that is proportionate with the body
- Clothing and swimsuit will fit nicely
- Love life is improved
- Self-confidence is boosted as women feel more comfortable and confident for their body
WHAT IS EXPECTED IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE SURGERY?
Post operative period is extremely important for a quicker healing and recovery period. Following are most likely to be expected within the first few days after the surgery:
- You will be kept under observation for few hours to make sure that there is not any clotting or excessive bleeding
- You are most likely to discharged from the hospital within the same day of the surgery after the observation
- You are most likely to feel exhausted
- Incisions may remain covered with gauze dressings up to a week
- You may experience less feelings in targeted areas for few days
- You may be asked to wear a compression garment and/or supportive surgical bra
- Soreness, swelling and bruising are considered normal which will gradually diminish over the next weeks
- Ensure that someone is pre-arranged to be around you at home to perform daily tasks for few days
HOW LONG IS THE MOMMY MAKEOVER PROCEDURE?
Mommy makeover procedure can range between 3-6 hours depending on the surgical combinations performed as well as how extensive the procedure is.
WHAT KIND OF PAIN SHALL I EXPECT AFTER MOMMY MAKEOVER?
There is some degree of manageable pain after the breast procedures which can be considered as mild to moderate pain, whereas abdominoplasty is more painful particularly in the first 24 hours following the surgery and can last up to 5 days. Pain subsides each day and pain medication is prescribed to reduce discomfort.
WILL I LOSE SENSITIVITY IN MY BREASTS?
Although most of the patients do not complain about the changes of sensation in the nipples, there is a possibility that sensation may be a little different than of prior to the surgery. Most of the loss of feeling typically resolve within 2-3 months, however in some cases it may take up to 2 years for the nipples and the area around the scar to resolve completely. In rare cases, sensation might never return to 100% compared to how it felt previously. This rare case usually occurs when breast augmentation is combined with a breast lift surgery .
HOW VISIBLE WILL BE THE SCARS?
Some degree of scarring is inevitable following a mommy makeover procedure, however these scars gradually fade over time. Immediately after the surgery, the scar will typically appear as red and visible. Then the scar will be converted in the form of a thin white incision line. There are several factors affecting the appearance of scars. Some of them include:
- Skin elasticity
- Skin tone
- Past sun exposure
- Technique performed
- Ability of the surgeon
- Body reaction to heal
- Alcohol consumption
- Following surgeon’s instructions both in pre and post operatively
It is difficult to provide a specific timetable for the healing of the scars as there are several stages of healing in the months after the surgery and it may take up to a year for the scars to fully mature and in some cases might be much less than that depending on the variable factors given above.
MediExpert provide great care to minimize scarring. Good news is that scars left in a well hidden spot where it is covered by most of underwear, swimsuit ands bra. The complete guidelines will be given both pre and post operatively in terms of how to minimize the scarring effectively. Moreover, for most of the patients benefits of the mommy makeover surgery by far outweigh the scarring left behind for most of the patients.
HOW LONG IS THE RECOVERY TIME?
The length of recovery period will indeed vary depending on the type of procedures that performed. As for the traditional mommy makeover which is breast augmentation , breast lift surgery and abdominoplasty combination; initial recovery period is 10-14 days where most of women are able to return to a desk job following the procedure.
On the other hand, this period is much less without abdominoplasty and can be as low as 3-7 days to resume a desk job for breast surgeries and liposuction. Soreness, bruising and swelling are the common side effects which is overcome by pain medication and subsides over time.
In general, short walks are encouraged to prevent blood clots, lifting is restricted and compression garments and/or support bra need to be worn for some weeks which is placed around the abdomen, breasts and areas of liposuction.
SHOULD I NEED TO STAY IN THE HOSPITAL AFTER MOMMY MAKEOVER?
Mommy makeover is generally an outpatient procedure meaning that patients are likely to be discharged from the hospital following a few hours observation period. However, it may be necessary to stay overnight at the hospital in some cases depending on the patient and how extensive the procedure is. It is important to ensure that a family member or a friend will drive you to your residence or alternatively we will be pleased to arrange your drop off organization.
WHEN WILL THE SUTURES BE REMOVED?
Sutures are generally dissolvable type. If this is not the case, the removal of sutures will typically be within 7-10 days after the surgery depending on the type of combined surgeries performed.
WHEN CAN I GO BACK TO WORK?
Most of the patients can return for a desk job within 10-14 days. It may take between 4-6 weeks to return work for a physically demanding job requiring heavy lifting.
CAN I DRIVE AFTER THE SURGERY?
It is typically 2 weeks required to start driving after the surgery.
WHEN CAN I START EXERCISING?
Short walks are encouraged following a mommy makeover procedure as soon as the patient arrive home from surgery. Light exercises can be resumed within 2weeks while stabilizing the heart rate not more than 100 beats per minute and can increase 10 more beats every week. Regular workout can be resumed after 5 weeks except abdominal exercises and lifting anything more than 7-8 kilograms. Heavy lifting and more strenuous activities can be resumed after 8-10 weeks, whereas abdominal exercises should be avoided up to 6 months following the procedure.
HOW LONG WILL I REQUIRE HELP WITH THE KIDS?
It is not allowed to lift anything over 2-3 kilograms in the first 2 weeks. After that heavier things including the children should not be lifted and physical housework should be avoided up to 6 weeks. Assistance to take care of the kids is required around the clock for the first 2 weeks.
CAN I HAVE A MOMMY MAKEOVER EVEN I HAVE NOT HAD ANY CHILDREN?
Although ‘mommy makeover’ designed to improve a woman's appearance after having children, you can well be a candidate for combination surgeries even you have not had a child. In the case of a diet and an exercise can not be a solution what is try to be achieved, mommy makeover can assist on realizing your goals.
POTENTIAL COMPLICATIONS AND RISKS OF MOMMY MAKEOVER
Although modern techniques for mommy makeover are very safe, as with any other surgery there are some risks involved. Some of the rare complications from a mommy makeover surgery are as follows:
- Altered nipple sensation
- Anesthesia risks
- Capsular contracture
- Cardiac complications
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Fat necrosis
- Fat embolization
- Implant leakage
- Implant breakage
- Inability to breastfeed
- Loss of nipple sensation
- Mammography interference
- Unfavorable scarring
HOW LONG WILL THE RESULTS LAST?
Unfortunately, there is not a cosmetic surgery that can be guaranteed to last forever, however the results could be very long-lasting and even permanent in some cases. Since mommy makeover is a customized approach, it is not a straightforward answer to generalize things and provide a specifics timeline. There are several factors effecting the longevity of the results some of which are listed below:
- Type of procedures performed
- Ability of the surgeon
- Following surgeon’s instructions both in pre and post operatively
Generally, many women experience permanent results for abdominoplasty and liposuction , whereas it may be required to undergo a revisional procedure for breast implants after 10-15 years. All in all, the golden answer would be to maintain a healthy life to in order to prolong the duration of the results.
WHEN CAN I SEE THE FINAL RESULTS OF THE PROCEDURE?
Some changes will be visible immediately following the surgery and the results will become increasingly more apparent as the body heals. The length of the final results will vary depending on the type of procedure performed and each patient’s healing capacity. The look will be more noticeable for breasts than other areas and expected to be fairly close to the final results within 3-4 months time.
On the other hand, it may take a few more weeks for the final abdominoplasty results to be seen. Consequently, final results will take shape after 3-4 months and it is generally 6 months required to see the final shape and appearance when the swelling is completely gone and the new shape settled in its position enhancing a youthful pre-pregnancy body.